cantinera

Amanda's Bookshelf

I'm a culture junkie who works at a bookstore. Pop, high-brow, junk -- it's all good. I try and consume it all. I read tons, especially young adult fiction. I also love quirky, offbeat novels; cultural analysis; mythology; girly fiction; fantasy; screwball romantic comedies; books with extremely flawed characters, yet somehow you really empathize with them; nonlinear narratives and language play.

The Runaway King
Patrick Ness
The Little Friend
Donna Tartt

Every Day

Every Day - David Levithan I don't think I've cried so hard over a book since Mockingjay. Now that I got that out of the way, I should probably explain it. It didn't leave me with the same harrowing feeling, but there was something so bittersweet and touching about the premise and journey "A" takes that really struck a chord with me. "A" is the narrator. "A" is without gender. "A" is without sexuality. "A" is without their own body. "A" doesn't have a history. "A" doesn't know where they came from. "A" just knows that day to day they will experience a day in the life another person in their age group.It wasn't only this premise that grabbed me, but how well done it was. To me, it recalled the uncertainty of Quantum Leap, but instead of fixing history it examines what makes an individual who they are in the style of such books like Middlesex. The moments and lives "A" experiences are really powerful for that brief moment you are with them. It truly takes a look at the many aspects of a person that form and affect us.And, of course, at the core of it is what it means to love. I absolutely adored the way this was handled, taking in sexuality, connecting, attraction, differences and knowing the other person. Such a fantastic book. I highly recommend it.