cantinera

Amanda's Bookshelf

I'm a culture junkie who works at a bookstore. Pop, high-brow, junk -- it's all good. I try and consume it all. I read tons, especially young adult fiction. I also love quirky, offbeat novels; cultural analysis; mythology; girly fiction; fantasy; screwball romantic comedies; books with extremely flawed characters, yet somehow you really empathize with them; nonlinear narratives and language play.

The Runaway King
Topics About Which I Know Nothing
Patrick Ness
The Little Friend
Donna Tartt

Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy)

Kiss of Frost - Jennifer Estep I enjoyed this one much more than the first one. It's more of a 3.5, but the author has a habit of overusing epithets in place of the name (ie: The Valkyrie instead of Daphne, the band geek instead of Carson, etc.). I don't know if it is a stylistic choice for the author in general or something specific to Gwen, but it's something that grates on me when overused (a personal thing, I know).Still, I really enjoy the myth-based storyline and look forward to reading more of this series and learning more about the world as Gwen does. In fact, I am waiting for Gwen to really delve into it.