cantinera

Amanda's Bookshelf

I'm a culture junkie who works at a bookstore. Pop, high-brow, junk -- it's all good. I try and consume it all. I read tons, especially young adult fiction. I also love quirky, offbeat novels; cultural analysis; mythology; girly fiction; fantasy; screwball romantic comedies; books with extremely flawed characters, yet somehow you really empathize with them; nonlinear narratives and language play.

The Runaway King
Patrick Ness
The Little Friend
Donna Tartt

Don't Stop Believin': How Karaoke Conquered the World and Changed My Life

Don't Stop Believin': How Karaoke Conquered the World and Changed My Life - Brian Raftery I am not really into karaoke (my experience tends to be at family functions with horrible backing tracks accompanying various footage of the Philippines), but do love me some SingStar. Either way, this book intrigued me and I love cultural studies, so I got it.So great! I really enjoyed the history behind karaoke, how the author was into it, the evolution of the phenomenon and how technology affects it, and, especially, its appeal.This book seals its four star rating because the author has a go at the "baby boomers' self-mythologizing" which is a peeve of mine. I loathe the canonization of 60s culture.Anyway, good book. I definitely recommend it.