cantinera

Amanda's Bookshelf

I'm a culture junkie who works at a bookstore. Pop, high-brow, junk -- it's all good. I try and consume it all. I read tons, especially young adult fiction. I also love quirky, offbeat novels; cultural analysis; mythology; girly fiction; fantasy; screwball romantic comedies; books with extremely flawed characters, yet somehow you really empathize with them; nonlinear narratives and language play.

The Runaway King
Patrick Ness
The Little Friend
Donna Tartt

The Future of Us

The Future of Us - Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler I was really excited about this book, mainly due to my teen nostalgia as the characters were my age and I remember being in the internet on the early days. That nostalgia caused me to have some higher expectations than I normally would, while simultaneously making me like it more. Odd combination.I did enjoy it. Even though Emma could be annoying, I found Josh sweet, the time ripples on facebook interesting and the cultural references made me laugh (I admit, I was a probably less into the mainstream compared to most teenagers so at that point I was anticipating Radiohead's new album and listening to a lot of Portishead instead of Green Day while and watching and quoting Doom Generation, not Wayne's World).Anyway, I liked it. It was a fun bit of teen nostalgia for me, while I can see the facebook/future aspect being fun for teens who don't remember the newness of internet in the home.