cantinera

Amanda's Bookshelf

I'm a culture junkie who works at a bookstore. Pop, high-brow, junk -- it's all good. I try and consume it all. I read tons, especially young adult fiction. I also love quirky, offbeat novels; cultural analysis; mythology; girly fiction; fantasy; screwball romantic comedies; books with extremely flawed characters, yet somehow you really empathize with them; nonlinear narratives and language play.

The Runaway King
Patrick Ness
The Little Friend
Donna Tartt

The Night Circus

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern Whimsical. Magical. Atmospheric.The Night Circus creates a story that really draws you in, and while doing that, manages to tick off a checklist of things I enjoy in literature. An atmosphere created instead of just focusing on the plot, a magical/whimsical vibe, non-linear narration, switching forms of narrative, plus a love of the story so prevalent throughout--whether it is a desire for your own fairy tale/adventure through some characters, the romantic hope for a happy ending, and just an affinity for literary tradition. There is even a subtle nod to one of my favorite books of all time, Nights at the Circus.Highly recommended. Very hyped, but definitely a great, engrossing book worth the buzz.