cantinera

Amanda's Bookshelf

I'm a culture junkie who works at a bookstore. Pop, high-brow, junk -- it's all good. I try and consume it all. I read tons, especially young adult fiction. I also love quirky, offbeat novels; cultural analysis; mythology; girly fiction; fantasy; screwball romantic comedies; books with extremely flawed characters, yet somehow you really empathize with them; nonlinear narratives and language play.

The Runaway King
Patrick Ness
The Little Friend
Donna Tartt

Tris & Izzie

Tris & Izzie - Mette Ivie Harrison Rarely do I find books worthy of only 1 star or so awful I have to say so, but sadly, this is how I felt about this book.I was looking forward to this as a re-telling of Tristan and Isolde, but the book is so poorly written and the characters are downright annoying and lack any sort of substance. Izzie's narration is bratty, childlike and stilted. Tristan's formality and old-fashioned aspects just don't fit. Branna is blandly annoying. Mark is just bland.That's not getting into the descriptions, which are not only poor, but are so repetitive that you feel like you are experiencing word de ja vu, not reading further into the book.And never mind the flow of the story: there isn't one. It just jumps from point to point without reason or any sense of why. Reading the story made me think of being in stop and go traffic with a really bad driver--every time you moved, you'd suddenly stop with a hard slam on the brakes.I was really disappointed in this, to be honest, as I was hoping for an interesting re-telling. This definitely wasn't one.