cantinera

Amanda's Bookshelf

I'm a culture junkie who works at a bookstore. Pop, high-brow, junk -- it's all good. I try and consume it all. I read tons, especially young adult fiction. I also love quirky, offbeat novels; cultural analysis; mythology; girly fiction; fantasy; screwball romantic comedies; books with extremely flawed characters, yet somehow you really empathize with them; nonlinear narratives and language play.

The Runaway King
Patrick Ness
The Little Friend
Donna Tartt

Firelight

Firelight - Sophie Jordan Got an advanced readers copy of this, as at work I probably read the most teen fiction.It was very easy to read through and I actually found the mythology a lot more compelling than the book, characters or romance. In fact, the main character Jacinda is rather annoying at times and the way they frame her as important to the draki and a free spirit seems at odd with a lot of her actions. Still, it made me intrigued enough that I would probably read the next one and while fitting the very formulaic teen-supernatural-romance genre, I like that the shapeshifter character is a bit different from the usual ones you see. 2.75/5