cantinera

Amanda's Bookshelf

I'm a culture junkie who works at a bookstore. Pop, high-brow, junk -- it's all good. I try and consume it all. I read tons, especially young adult fiction. I also love quirky, offbeat novels; cultural analysis; mythology; girly fiction; fantasy; screwball romantic comedies; books with extremely flawed characters, yet somehow you really empathize with them; nonlinear narratives and language play.

The Runaway King
Patrick Ness
The Little Friend
Donna Tartt

Dreamland Social Club

Dreamland Social Club - Tara Altebrando This book intrigued me since it reminded me of the opening monologue of a Godspeed you black emperor! with an old man remembering what Coney Island was like. Random, I know, but the premise made me think of that man and his sad voice, talking about how much has changed.Glad I picked it up. It was wonderfully done, atmospheric and was a great story about a girl trying to fit in while feeling different, your ideals vs reality and coming to terms with your past, present and future. It moved quite slowly, but that's not a complaint--the pace actually set up the atmosphere, in my opinion.By the way, I loved Jane and her insecurities and I adored her interaction with Leo. I felt like their interaction and connection wasn't forced, but properly set up and both were characters in their own right.Definitely something I would recommend to others and a book I really loved reading.