cantinera

Amanda's Bookshelf

I'm a culture junkie who works at a bookstore. Pop, high-brow, junk -- it's all good. I try and consume it all. I read tons, especially young adult fiction. I also love quirky, offbeat novels; cultural analysis; mythology; girly fiction; fantasy; screwball romantic comedies; books with extremely flawed characters, yet somehow you really empathize with them; nonlinear narratives and language play.

The Runaway King
Patrick Ness
The Little Friend
Donna Tartt

Nightshade: Book 1

Nightshade: Book 1 - Andrea Cremer I work in a bookstore and have seen some online buzz about this book, so when it was released I thought I'd check it out.I'm glad I did. I read a lot of teen fiction and there is a lot of dreck out there, pandering to the lowest possible appeal of the teen paranormal genre, formulaic and without strong female characters, peddling values to young girls I often find questionable.This is not one of those books. I was pleasantly surprised at how the werewolf mythology was fresh and not only used to convey strong messages about sexuality, choices, questioning tradition and values (I found Guardian tradition a fantastic metaphor for patriarchal hegemony, to be honest), but done in a way that was actually very engaging. Calla was an alpha female whose character was meant to adhere to tradition, but she questions it without just being belligerent or angsty. Plus, there were a lot of well-rounded characters and a love triangle that didn't upset me, nor was it lopsided in who you root for (at least in my case--I found appeal in both Ren and Shay).This is definitely a book I will recommend to teen girls without hesitation. Can't wait for the next book either.