cantinera

Amanda's Bookshelf

I'm a culture junkie who works at a bookstore. Pop, high-brow, junk -- it's all good. I try and consume it all. I read tons, especially young adult fiction. I also love quirky, offbeat novels; cultural analysis; mythology; girly fiction; fantasy; screwball romantic comedies; books with extremely flawed characters, yet somehow you really empathize with them; nonlinear narratives and language play.

The Runaway King
Topics About Which I Know Nothing
Patrick Ness
The Little Friend
Donna Tartt

The Sign - Nur zu deiner Sicherheit: Band 1 (German Edition)

XVI  - Julia Karr, Bettina Spangler While some of the cyberpunk/dystopia feel to this book was interesting, I just couldn't get behind the story, writing and views on sex, which were so black and white. I know the society had warped female sexuality, but still, the girls who went against the grain also seemed to come across with an outlook on sexuality that wasn't their own, just reactionary, and those who were sexual/into the idea of being so were doomed to horrible fates. I know the society was really messed up, but still working within it didn't sit well with me. The relationships felt clunky because of this, especially with Sal and Nina.